Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 2: Easy Wire Wrap Christmas Tree Ornaments

PC150332

Day 2 of my 6 Days of Christmas is possibly the easiest, but also one of the most, chic crafts I've ever completed.

You'll need:
  • Heavier gauge beading wire. I used 20 gauge. If I were making these again and not trying to use up scraps from my other products, I would buy a wire one step thicker. 
  • Something shaped like a cone to wrap your wire around.
  • Beading tools - pliers to wrap ends and make embellishments
  • Optional - pipe cleaners and beads. 
It's easy as 1-2-3!

1. Make a loop in your wire. Pictured here the wire is still on the spool. I actually cut it after I made the loop. For the tallest tree I made (about 6 inches), I used around 2.5 feet of wire. I cut a yard to give myself some allowance when wrapping.
PC150304

2. Take your wire and begin to wrap it around your long, cone object. To secure it, pull the first wrap through the loop you made. Be sure to wind the wire tight and close on each wrap. See the photos for the steps. and yes, I did use an Exacto pen knife for my form. I made sure to tape down the cap to avoid injury. BE CAREFUL -- the wire can be a bit prickly too.

PC150305
Starting loop.

PC150315
Along the Exacto knife. You'll notice that for some rows I made little loops and swirls. Not too many because I wanted the cone to look like a cone. 


3. To finish, slip the wire shape off of the shape. Use your hands to shape it some more. Top off with a loop for the hook. I used a heart shape.

PC150344a
It was hard to take a picture that did the ornaments justice (mostly because I had the New Hope in one hand and the camera in the other). The wire is copper and looped over itself it is very bright.  


PC150346
PC150332
A few things to keep in mind: You have to wrap the wire pretty tight to get a smooth, uniform turn. I didn't worry about that so much. I liked the few wrinkles and waves created by putting the extra few loops on a row.

This project could be adapted to make picture holders or a centerpiece for a holiday table.

The next few projects I post will be versions of gifts I made for friends and family this season. I've also drawn up a new doll. Maybe I'll get a chance to make her this weekend.


Many thanks for stopping by,
~Dee

Things to think about

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails