Monday, December 13, 2010

DAY 1: Hand Sewn Felt Bell Ornament

Day 1 of the 6 Days of Craft: A Felt Bell Ornament


Hi Good People,

I trust you're all keeping warm (or cool, depending on your clime). It's finally stopped snowing here but it's still cold.

I decided to break into my stash of craft goodies and make holiday stuff. The first thing I made is two bells using craft felt and embroidery thread.

This project is a quick make and can easily be modified in size and subject matter. If you don't like the bell I make here, you can draw your own design and use the technique to make a different ornament. This project is kid friendly if you use a bigger, less sharp needle. It can be done with yarn or thread and regular fabric.

Go here to see the step by step slides to make your own -- Felt Bell Ornament Tutorial on Flickr.
I chose to house it there because the slide show makes it easier to follow along than scrolling down the page in my opinion.

A few notes:
The key is to make loose long single stitches that are worked close together. Don't pull your thread too tight. Craft felt is stiff and will tear instead of stretching.
You don't have to cut out the bell like I do in the pattern. My husby suggested I do this. I normally would stitch around the square and hang it as a square with a bell center. I like the way it turned out but the others I make will keep their square shape.


PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF THE BELL! If you make one, show me!

I've linked to the following parties:


Peas out,
Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails