Thursday, March 31, 2011

Where are they now?: Knit and Crochet Blog Week 2011

There are so many unfinished projects around this house that I had to think long and hard about which one to write about today. 

Admittedly, I am an impulse crafter. I see something in a book or online and I want to make it. Before I improved on my crochet skills, I took on a lot of projects that were difficult and I started them only to get lost in the pattern or frustrated, never to finish them. I've gotten better about that. In part, I've gotten better because of this blog. I want to have something to show my net friends and I want to be a part of the online community.                                                                                  
I searched high and low for something that was not only undone, but that I was unlikely to finish.

And here it is folks --


What is it, you ask? Well, let's see. 
Two circles. 
Obvious, right?
But for what purposes?
Last November I decided to get rid of all my yarn stash. No new yarn unless it was doll related. So, I had this really interesting variegated scrap. I'm pretty sure it was a few ounces of Vanna's Choice. 
I wanted to make a scallop shaped make-up purse. I have seen a few online and thought I would make a tutorial. 
I even took lots of photos of the process. See:



                  I was so optimistic that the scrap was big enough to be a little bag that I even tested out different trim compliments and made a strap.


And then, I went to join it. And realized that what I had was two well crocheted circles (if I can say so myself) and that's about it.


I haven't yet figured out how to eyeball yarn and know just how far I can go with it. I either over estimate and end up with lots of leftovers or I underestimate and end up with projects that have me running back to the store with my fingers crossed, muttering under my breath, "Please let the dye lots match, please let the dye lots match."


I don't know what I can do with these circles. 
I won't buy another skein. They're not heavy enough to be potholders or soft enough to be face clothes. 

I kept saying I was going to frog it and try something different, but alas, they just sit stuffed in a drawer in my craft corner. When I went to look for them to write this blog I was surprised that I knew exactly where they were. (See my previous post on organization.) I think I like these little useless circles. Maybe I'll put them in a frame and dare to call them art. 


Am I the only one who has projects like this? Unfinishable, but still too dear to scrap?


Thanks for dropping by, 
~ Dee

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails