Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Happy Birthday Crochet Cloths!

So. I've been crafty even if I haven't managed to be bloggy... (hmm, bloggy isn't quite a word, but you catch my drift.

Just this past weekend, I made birthday gift for a great friend and colleague of mine:


I 've been sneezing and coughing (I got a bug from the kid, I'm sure) and didn't finish it until just before I walked out the door to work at 7:30 this morning. Sorry for the bad lighting. 

I made four washcloths and a scrubby from free patterns I found on ravelry.com and around the web. I mostly just started the patterns, then finished off the edges in my own way. I liked the way the borders turned out. For all but one, I single crocheted around the square, then I doubled crocheted again. For two I did this twice:
The colors are a bit off. The pictures below are more accurate.

I used Lily Sugar and Cream Solids and Self Striping. I'll admit, I didn't much like the feel of crocheting with cotton, but the resulting cloths were super soft (wonder how that happened?) and seemed really sturdy. I've crocheted for a while now and must admit -- these are my very first dish/wash cloths. I don't know why I never made any before, perhaps because I was never using 100% cotton?

I also made her a handmade card with a piece of white card stock and markers. I found the template for the flower here - http://www.lets-make-greeting-cards.com/how-to-make-paper-flowers.html   As always, I just did my own thing instead of following the whole tutorial. On the inside, I wrote a birthday wish and on the back I gave instructions on how to care for the cloths.

I tied it all up with a ribbon:

See the tissue paper flag banner in the background? I'm trying out ideas for Baby H's first birthday party!

She really seemed to like them and I'm really happy about that. I love giving handmade gifts. I think people appreciate when someone takes the time to make them something.

I hope that you too will find some joy in giving a little of your talents to others. 
As for me, I plan to devote a bit of craft time each month to gift and charity crafting.

All the best, 
~Dee

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails